For most small and medium-scale businesses, the business owner also doubles as the Business Owner and the Managing Director/Proprietor/Partner as the Business Structure may be.
WHAT IS DIRECT ASSESSMENT?
Direct Assessment tax in Nigeria is a system through which self-employed persons are assessed and charged to pay tax based on their income.
WHAT IS PAYE:
Pay As You Earn is a tax that employer deducts from employees’ salaries and wages. This tax rate moves from 7 to 24 per cent of taxable income. The taxable income band ranges from NGN300,000 to above NGN3.2 million in a year.
THE TAX MAN
Tax authorities more often than not subject Managing Director/Proprietors/Partner to Direct Assessment and the reasons are not far-fetched: to comb and get a declaration of all sources of income, investment etc. after that subjecting the gross income, less the reliefs to tax in line with Section 41(3) and 36 of the Personal Income Tax Act (PITA).
Therefore, if you have multiple sources of income and avoid being double taxed then a Direct Assessment will be the perfect match. Direct Assessment must be filed within 90 Days from the beginning of the year (on or before March 31st).
ONLY SOURCE OF INCOME
However, if the Business is the only source of income, it is advisable to subject oneself to salary and come under the Pay-As-You-Earn PAYE scheme.
FEATURE OF DIRECT ASSESSMENT
- Ideal for multiple sources of income individuals
- For High Net Worth Individual
- It prevents double taxation
- One payment serves all the Companies
- The declaration/assessment form will be subjected to verification by the tax man before an assessment is raised.
- Lump sum payment
FEATURES OF PAYE
- Monthly Tax Payment
- To be remitted on or before the 10th of the Month for the preceding Month
- It is single employment or single salary based
- Employer’s responsibility
- Monthly Payment (flexible)
- 8% Pensions, NHIS, NHF are Tax Deductibles
- Must be filed monthly on or before the 10th of the Month for the preceding month.
- For some States such as Lagos State, the Tax Clearance Card carries both the Tax Payer Details and the Company’s Name.
The route to take largely depends on your income (the sources) and your tax planning strategies.
To this end, it is advisable to consult a competent tax practitioner or tax firm for guidance.
For Taxation, Tax Planning and Tax Filing, feel free to contact us:
Tolulope Oguntade Regville Associates firstname.lastname@example.org 08065111667